The project requirement was to build a SaaS based accounting system for the records a business keeps to maintain its accounting system. The requirement was a SaaS model that would enable the users to access the software from anywhere and at any time online. The application would have two user modules for the end user who can purchase from and uses the system, and the admin user who can administer the platform. The application was supposed to enable tracking and invoice billing, payments and expenses with limited inventory control. The end product was expected to be a simple mobile application to enable submission and viewing of transactions.
After understanding the client requirement of eventually building a SaaS based accounting software designed to cater to multiple businesses for the client, We proposed to build the system as a double entry accounting tool which would utilize the accounting gem (Plutus) “//github.com/mbulat/plutus” to carry out the desired function. The solution proposed, was an accounting software based on Ruby on Rails and the two accounting entries would be made to record each financial transaction. These transactions could occur in asset, liability, income, expense etc. Along with social media integration, basic SEO for the website was also provided as a part of the solution.
The admin users can perform the following activities:
- Manage subscribers
- Manage the users who can administer the platform
- Manage currency that the system supports
The end user accessing the system can perform the following activities:
- Subscribe to the system by going through an interactive signup process for the subscription.
- Use the dashboard facility that showcases the key information. i.e. invoice paid, invoice raised and the due payments.
- Manage their customers.
- Create and manage quotes and invoices, and also create the billing items used for invoices
- Manage the chart of accounts and create sub-accounts under it.
- Manage expense/bill payouts and the vendors and update payments.
- Avail the option to set-up the accounting tree according to his needs, manage the items for which invoicing/billing is to be done and manage users that will be having the access to the system. By default up to 10 user logins can be given.
- Access various reports such as income statements, sales reports, balance sheet and P&L.
- Payment gateway integration is provided at the time of signup for the payments to be made.
Mobile App Functionalities:
The end user can perform following activities using a mobile App:
- Sign up to the system through an interactive session.
- Access the dashboard facility that showcases income and expenses.
- Manage the expenses. The user can view invoice details and mail the invoices to concerned people.
Over and above all this the suggested web application was made in a highly responsive design so as to enable seamless functionality across platforms and devices. The resultant advantage to the client was seamless interaction and a flawless user experience.
- Ruby on Rails
- Accounting gem (Plutus)